Before you feel disheartened about having back acne, you’ll be glad to know that these breakouts can be treated with proper preventive measures, diets, or application of over-the-counter acne products.
What actually causes back acne?
High levels of oil production in your follicles promotes growth of acne-causing bacteria. This in turn causes the oil to be trapped beneath cells that stick together in your pores, and leads to inflammation and pimples.
Our back tend to have a high concentration of oil glands, which makes it a prime spot for breakouts. Sweat also can get trapped underneath our clothes, which further irritates our skin.
1. Preventive measures to take
Avoid wearing sweaty clothing for too long, and shower as soon as possible to rid yourself of the dirt and sebum build-up.
Avoid tight-fitting clothing as they not only encourage sweating, but trap oil on the skin as well. Loose fitting clothes will allow your skin to breathe better.
Pick out moisture wicking fabrics for your workout clothes.
Avoid skincare products that irritate your skin.
Stay out of the sun as much as you can as sunburnt or damaged skin is more prone to acne.
2. Diet matters
Our bodies react to what we eat, and nutrition in skincare is no exception. To prevent breakouts on your back, its best to avoid foods that are high in sugar and starch. Go with whole grains over processed carbohydrates.
Cow’s milk and skim milk have also shown to be linked to acne in some people.
See also: WANT GLOWING SKIN AND HAIR ON YOUR WEDDING DAY? INCLUDE THESE 8 FOODS INTO YOUR DIET
3. Products to combat back acne
- A daily body cleanser – like DrGL Cleanser Acne, $78, which can be used on your face, body and even hair.
- An exfoliating body scrub – especially on those days you’ve sweated more.
- A moisturising body lotion – We recommend Bio-Piel Petit ATO Body Lotion, $59.90. It’s formula contains cypress oil, which can kill bacteria from the skin, as well as a combination of hyaluronic acid, that helps maintain the skin’s moisture, and ceramide, which forms a protective layer on the skin.
4. Give yourself enough time
Back acne treatments take several weeks to reach their full effect, so you shouldn’t start on it at the last minute – especially if you want to have clear skin on your wedding day.
Start including it as part of daily skincare routine at least 2 to 3 months before for better results.
See also: WEARING A SKIN-BARING WEDDING DRESS? HOW TO BEAT CELLULITE, BODY ACNE AND MORE