PHOTOGRAPHY Dios Vincoy Jr
KERALA MANGO CURRY
By Sylvia Tan, a freelance writer and cookbook author
2-3 ripe mangoes
1 tbs chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
Water, as needed
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
2-3 dried red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
*Available from the condiments section of most supermarkets.
1. Peel and slice off the flesh from mangoes. Reserve half of the mango flesh.
2. Place half of the mango slices in a pot and sprinkle with the spice powders and salt. Add water to cover the mangoes.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil and mash the cooked mangoes using a fork or a hand-held blender. Add the rest of the mango pieces to cook for just a few more minutes.
4. Prepare the garnish by tempering the ingredients. Add one tablespoon of oil to the pan and fry the mustard seeds till they sputter.
5. Add the curry leaves and dried red chillies. Fry till they turn brown.
6. To serve, stir in yoghurt and garnish with the tempered spices and a sprinkling of fried onions.
This story was originally published in The Straits Times, July 21 2015.