PHOTOGRAPHY Wong Wei Liang ART DIRECTION & STYLING Nikki Ho
FRIED RICE BURGER
Recipe by Annette Tan
Serves 2 to 4
2 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
100g shabu shabu beef
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp mirin
1 tsp sugar
2 cups cooked white rice
2 spring onions, chopped
A small handful of coriander, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat 1 tbsp of canola oil in a frying pan. Fry the onions until soft, for about 6 min.
- Add beef, soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Stir-fry for 5 min, until the beef is just cooked. Transfer it to a sieve to drain the juices.
- Mix the rice, spring onions, coriander and eggs in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in a small non-stick pan over high heat. Spoon 2 tbsp of the rice mixture onto the pan and press to flatten. Cook for 3 min till crisp and golden.
- Flip and cook for another 6 min until the underside is crisp. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the rice.
- Place the beef mixture between 2 rice cakes and serve immediately.
TIP Instead of beef, you can use shredded roast chicken or teriyaki chicken available in the freezer section of supermarkets.
This story was first published in Simply Her February 2010.