THAI MILK TEA BUTTER CAKE
Recipe by honeybeesweets
For the egg yolk batter:
455ml whole milk
80ml condensed milk
3 Thai tea teabags*
350g cake flour (unsifted)
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
200g semi-salted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs yolks, at room temperature
100g caster sugar
For the egg white batter:
80g caster sugar
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
*Thai tea teabags are available at Thai Supermarket at #02-64 Golden Mile Complex.
- Preheat the oven to 155 deg C and place a water bath in. Grease and line an 8" by 8" square cake pan with parchment paper, and grease again.
- In a small sauce saucepan, warm milk over medium heat till bubbles start to form around the edges. Add the Thai teabags, remove from heat, stir for about 20s and cover. Let cool for about 10min.
- Add condensed milk into the tea mixture and stir well to combine. Place the whole pot in ice water bath to cool down the mixture.
- Strain out the tea and discard the teabags, squeezing out all the liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter, egg yolks and 100g caster sugar till light and fluffy, about 4 to 6min. Scrape down the side of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in some flour, then the Thai milk tea mixture, and flour again, alternating between the two, and end off the folding with flour.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites with the remaining 80g sugar till you get stiff, shiny peaks. Gently fold this meringue in three batches into the egg yolk batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack before slicing.
TIP: For a stronger tea fragrance, leave the chilled tea mixture at the end of step 3 to steep for about 4 hours.