COORDINATION Lim Tsiao Hui PHOTOGRAPHY Darren Chang ART DIRECTION & STYLING Nikki Ho
By Chef Antonio Massagli
For the crepe batter:
20g all-purpose flour
30g salted butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
For the béchamel sauce:
20g salted butter
20g all-purpose flour
200ml warm milk
For the seafood filling:
1½ tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 stalk parsley, chopped
500g sea bass fillet, diced
200g prawns, shells and veins removed, and diced
100g squid, cut into bite-sized pieces
1½ tbsp white wine
30g cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges
A pinch of salt and pepper
1½ tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1. To make the crepe batter, combine the flour and milk in a mixing bowl. Add the melted butter and eggs, and stir to make a smooth batter.
2. Over medium heat, pour 30ml of batter into a greased pan, and swirl the pan to spread the batter evenly. Cook each side for 30 seconds – the crepe should be a light brown. Repeat until the batter is used up.
3. To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and add the flour, stirring continuously until well mixed, to make a roux. Add the milk and cook for 1min, stirring constantly to smooth any lumps. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. To make the seafood filling, heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and parsley, and fry until the garlic is fragrant. Add the fish, prawns and squid and saute for 1min. Add the white wine and cook until it is reduced. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 5min. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and dice the seafood filling.
5. Spread 1½ tbsp of bechamel sauce onto a crepe. Top with 1½ tbsp of the seafood filling. Fold the crepe in half and then into a smaller triangle.
6. In an oven preheated to 180 deg C, place 4 tbsp of bechamel sauce into an oven-proof bowl. Place the crepes on it. Top with more bechamel sauce, then parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-15min.
A squeeze bottle with nozzles is a handy tool for adding wine or oil into a pan easily. Find it at retailers of commercial cookware, like Sia Huat (7 Temple Street, tel: 6223-1732).
This article was originally published in Simply Her August 2015.