PHOTOGRAPHY Dios Vincoy Jr
Passionfruit lime cheesecake
By Jenny Lie, a corporate trainer
10 digestive biscuits
70g unsalted butter, melted
250g cream cheese
250ml whipping cream
100g icing sugar
50ml lime juice
3 tsp gelatin powder, dissolved into 30ml of hot water
150ml passionfruit juice, strained and seeds discarded
50ml lemon juice
170g caster sugar
3 tbsp gelatin powder, dissolved into 2.5L hot water
Blackberries, edible gold dust and mint leaves for garnish
For the cake:
1. Place digestive biscuits in a re-sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin till the biscuits look like fine crumbs.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the crushed digestives and melted butter thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a round 22cm springform pan. Flatten the mixture evenly across the tin with the underside of a spoon.
3. Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix cream cheese and pour in whipping cream gradually on medium speed. Whisk for 3min till mixture becomes smooth.
4. Sift icing sugar into the bowl and fold it into the mixture.
5. Re-attach the bowl to electric mixer and whisk for a minute.
6. Pour lime juice and gelatin into mixture. Mix it at medium speed for 2-3min.
7. Pour mixture evenly on top of the layer of biscuit crumbs in the cake tin. Refrigerate for at least two hours for the mixture to set.
For the jelly:
1. Set the passionfruit and lemon juice in a small pot over low heat. Stir in sugar until it dissolves. Set mixture aside to cool for 15min.
2. Stir gelatin into the mixture, then pour it through a strainer onto the cheesecake base.
3. Refrigerate overnight. Decorate with blackberries sprinkled with edible gold dust and mint leaves.
TIP: To remove the cake, dip a knife in hot water and run it around the circumference of the cake. Then, open the latch of the springform pan to transfer the cake to a serving platter.
This article was originally published in Sunday Life! on 21 June 2015.