Right After Your Colour Service
1) Do not wash your hair for at least 24 hours, says Sam Chok, hairstylist at Passion Hair Salon. This would allow hair to fully absorb the colour, and reduce the occurrence of colour fading.
After 24 Hours
2) Use only cold water to wash your hair. If you are uncomfortable with that, use a temperature that is slightly below room temperature. Heat cause the hair cuticles to open, and when that happens, colour pigments come right out.
3) Shampoo your hair with colour care shampoo and conditioner. Further upkeep bright colours with colour-depositing shampoos with pigments that help to maintain your hair colour.
If you have red or pink hair, try: Davines Alchemic Shampoo and Conditioner in Red.
If you have copper coloured hair, try: Davines Alchemic Shampoo and Conditioner in Copper.
If you have blonde hair, try: Pravana The Perfect Blonde Shampoo, Conditioner and Toning Masque, Redken Blonde Idol Custom-Tone Conditioner Violet, or O&M Conquer Blonde Silver Shampoo and Conditioner.
Generally you can opt for colour care products from professional brands like Redken, Kerastase, Goldwell and Mucota to keep colours from fading.
(More from Simply Her: 18 things only people with bright, multi-coloured or rainbow hair understand)
For the Next 2 Weeks
4) Avoid going under direct sunlight. Heat and UV rays not only damage hair, they also cause colours to disappear.
(More from Simply Her: 15 cheap and good beauty products from H&M to buy now)
5) If your hair has been bleached, use a repairing hair mask daily for two weeks, says Sam. If you find that that is a tad heavy for your hair, do it every alternate day.
This would greatly improve the hair texture as repairing hair masks add ceramics back into hair to make them stronger - less prone to breakage, and smoother to touch.
Skip the hair masks that say “hydrating”, frizz-free” and “shiny hair” as these would not be able to help nourish and repair your damaged tresses, says Sam.
(More from Simply Her: 13 holiday beauty gift sets you'll want for yourself)
6) Skip any use of styling tools like flat irons and curling irons that apply direct heat to hair. Heat will accelerate colour fading, too.
7) Apply either a heat-protecting hairspray or a repairing hair cream into your hair before blow-drying it, adds Sam.
(More from Simply Her: 8 acne spot treatments that don't dry out your skin)
8) After blow-drying your hair, apply a hair oil or cream into it to further improve hair texture. This will make your hair look healthier and less dry.
(More from Simply Her: 9 best body care products for a home spa experience)
2 Weeks Later, And Beyond
9) Once your hair is smoother and softer, you can reduce the number of times you use hair masks to twice every week.
10) If you have the time and budget, treat your vibrant locks to a professional hair treatment at hair salons. it would help maintain hair colour if you get a salon hair treatment done every fortnightly, or monthly. If not, use your hair masks, oils and creams religiously, advises Sam.