Physician Ng Ying Shi from NTU Chinese Medicine Clinic
1. Lemons, Limes and Sour Plums – In TCM, sour foods will affect the ease of the flow of a period.
2. Grass Jelly, Gui Ling Gao Jelly (or Turtle Jelly) – This is a common cooling food that women should avoid during menses.
3. Fried food, Curry – Although these are considered “heaty” food, they are too rich and not easily digestible, thereby increasing the load of your body to cope during period.
4. Green tea (regardless hot or cold) – This is also considered a cooling food.
5. Alcohol – This has blood circulating properties in TCM, which may cause your period to come earlier or you to have heavier flow.
6. Crabs – TCM also considers this crustecean a cooling food.
7. Iced or chilled food such as ice kacang, ice jelly and ice cream – iced and cold foods will cause the uterus muscles to contract more, which may in turn lead to bad cramps.