Dr Ann Tan, President of the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO) gives women tips on how they can empower themselves today.
1. Believe and value yourself and know that you are not alone. Network. Check out SCWO’s list of women’s organisations and read up what they do on their website or pop down to their centre and chat with one of their staff for assistance and suggestions. Also, volunteer your services to the many Voluntary Welfare Organisations that will only be too happy to have you share your skills.
2. Knowledge is power. Keep learning especially about financial and emotional health and practise what you learn. Read and keep the mind active and attend the various programmes run by The Financial Women’s Association, WINGS (Women's Initiative for Ageing Successfully), AWARE, NTUC Women's Programme Committee and PA Women’s Integration Network.
3. Stay fit and healthy through good nutrition and exercise. Join an exercise class – get a buddy to push each other on. WINGS organises various activities for women 40 years and above including taiji, yoga, Shapexercise, pilates and even belly dancing.
4. Think about, plan and prepare yourself for each stage in life. As we pass through the various stages we need new knowledge on how best to manage the changes that we will face – financial, health and our emotional Wellbeing. An experienced friend would be a good source of information or through various courses that are available.
5. Learn to own your voice and assert your opinion. Get involved in your community, be active in feedback sessions that are meant to improve the situation faced. Don’t worry about reactions , just ensure your feedback is given in a fair and unemotional manner.