500g Ground Beef
100ml Ayam Brand Rendang Paste
100ml Ayam Brand Coconut Cream
1 Tumeric Leaf
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
2 tbsp Gula Melaka
1 can of Coconut Milk
700g Russet Potatoes, (for mashed potato topping)
1 cup Milk, room temperature
1 Bay Leaf, (for mashed potato topping)
2 Cloves, (for mashed potato topping)
2 Red Onions, diced
3 tbsp Butter
Pinch of Fresh Ground Black Pepper, (for mashed potato topping)
1. For the Rendang mixture: Heat oil up in pan and sweat Onions on medium heat for 3 minutes.
2. Add in ground Beef and cook for 3 minutes on high heat, stirring every 30 seconds.
3. Add in rendang paste, tumeric leaf, kaffir lime leaves, gula melaka, toasted coconut.
4. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Lower heat, remove tumeric and kaffir lime leaves before adding coconut cream
6. For the Mashed Potato topping: Place chopped potatoes into a pot with cool salted water.
7. Bring it up to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender but not mushy.
8. Meanwhile, heat milk with bay leaf, cloves and onions in a separate pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Drain Potatoes, transfer to a bowl and mash mixing in the Butter and Milk mixture.
10. Season with salt and black pepper.
11. To assemble: Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius.
12. Place Rendang mixture into a tray or oval casserole dish, making sure it is an even layer.
13. Add Mash Potatoes over the rendang mixture.
14. Bake uncovered for around 40 minutes.
15. If necessary change to broil function and brown the Potatoes for a further 5-10 minutes.
Thumbnail image: 123rf.com
Read more: RECIPE: 3 rich and decadent Christmas fruit cakes
Read more: Recipe: Quick, easy baked chicken casserole with jasmine and brown rice
Read more: RECIPE: 5 easy savoury pie recipes to try this weekend
Read more: RECIPE: 10 delicious beef recipes for a decadent dinner