Photo Jasper Yu Art Direction & Styling Ann Neo
PRESSURE COOKER FRENCH ONION SOUP
Adapted from SeriousEats.com
100g unsalted butter
5 large yellow onions, sliced about 0.5cm-thick
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of salt
100ml dry red wine
50ml port wine
1.5 litres chicken stock
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 baguette, cut to 1cm-thick slices and toasted till crisp
1 tbsp unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic
200g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Place butter in the pressure cooker, set over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the onions, baking soda, salt and pepper. Stir gently and frequently, to prevent burning, until the onions soften and start to release liquid.
- Lock the pressure cooker with the lid. When the pot comes to pressure, turn down to low heat and cook for 20min.
- Release the steam pressure, remove the lid, then continue stirring over low heat until the onions are caramelised and nearly all the liquid has been cooked off. Add the dry red wine and port wine, then simmer for 5min, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add chicken stock, water, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, then allow to simmer for another 15min. Stir in the cider vinegar and simmer for another minute.
- Preheat the broiler. Meanwhile, rub the toasts with garlic, then spread a thin layer of butter.
- Place a piece of toast in each ovenproof bowl, sprinkle with Gruyère, then spoon some warm onion soup over the toast. Do about three layers, or until the toast is nearly at the top of the bowl. Fill up the bowl with soup until the toasts are almost submerged, and top with more grated cheese.
- Place the bowls on a baking pan and set at the top rack of the oven. Heat for 2-3min, until the cheese melts and browns. Serve.
- belinda lee inspiration
- easy french onion soup
- french recipes
- heartwarming soup recipes
- how to caramelise onions
- how to caramelise onions in a pressure cooker
- how to cook in a pressure cooker
- how to use a pressure cooker
- pressure cooker recipes
- quick french onion
- slow cooker french onion soup
- soup recipes
- vegetarian recipes
- vegetarian soup recipes