Photography Zaphs Zhang Art Direction & Styling Diane Ng
Recipe by Jason Tan, head of Pastry & Bakery at At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy
Makes 8-10 buns
For the dough:
300g bread flour
21g caster sugar
5g instant yeast
1 egg, beaten
15g unsalted butter, cubed
Water, to spray on the dough
50g brown sugar, stirred to break up clumps
½ tsp cinnamon powder
A handful of dark raisins
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp apricot jam
1. Into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add all the dough ingredients except the butter. Knead for 1min at the lowest speed, until the dough comes together.
2. Add the butter and knead for 7min at the second speed, or until the dough becomes smooth.
3. Set aside for 50min, leaving the dough to ferment.
4. Transfer the dough to a clean countertop. Dust some flour on top of the dough and roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about 0.5cm thick.
5. Lightly spray the surface of the dough with water. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon powder, then crumb it all over. The moisture will help the sugar stick to the dough. Sprinkle raisins over.
6. Fold in the edge and roll the dough into a long log. Cut into 2cm lengths.
7. Place each piece on a greased round cake tin, leaving a gap of 2cm in between each roll. Leave to proof in a warm, humid spot until it doubles in size, about 50min.
8. Brush the beaten egg over the buns evenly, then bake in an over pre-heated to 190 deg C for 15min.
9. Using a pastry brush, brush apricot jam over the rolls to form a glaze. Serve warm.