Photography Zaphs Zhang Art Direction & Styling Clare Chan Sushi Kou #01-16 Orchid Hotel, 1 Tras Link (6444-8433)
By Kanazawa Homare
4 pork loin chops, each about 120g and 1cm thick
2 tsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups tempura flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 cups cooking oil
1. Use a meat mallet to pound both sides of the pork loin. Alternatively, use a sharp knife to make multiple shallow slits on the surface of the pork.
2. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.
3. Place the flour, egg and panko in separate shallow plates, then dredge the pork chops through each one in the same order. Press on them lightly to help the panko stick to the meat.
4. Heat the oil in a pot and deep-fry the pork chops, one at a time. Cook each side for 3min, until golden brown.
5. Transfer the pork chops to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off excess oil, the slice into 2cm-thick strips.