Coordination Manfred Tham Photography Zaphs Zhang Art Direction & Styling Clare Chan
By Chef Jason Tan, head of Pastry & Bakery at At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy
Makes a 16cm cake
2 earl grey tea bags
100ml whole milk
120g cake flour
180g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
60g olive oil
4 eggs, separated
30g cold water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 orange, juiced and zested
Read Also: RECIPE: Easy guide to baking cinnamon rolls
1. In the chiller, leave the earl grey tea bags to steep in the milk overnight then strain for the infusion.
2. Preheat the oven to 160 deg C.
3. Sift the flour, 80g of sugar, baking powder and salt together.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the earl grey infusion, oil, 4 egg yolks, water, vanilla extract, orange juice and orange zest.
5. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix well.
6. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Then slowly beat in the remaining 100g of sugar until stiff peaks form.
7. Stir in a third of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the rest of it.
8. Pour the batter into an ungreased, 16cm tube pan. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and invert the pan over a wire rack to cool. When completely cool, remove the cake from the pan and serve.