Korean superstar singer and actor Rain returned to the small screen after a 4-year hiatus with the romantic drama My Lovely Girl co-starring f(x)’s Krystal Jung. Set against the backdrop of the entertainment industry in Korea, Rain plays Hyun Wook, CEO and Producer of a top record label.
Image: Sony ONE
1. Hyun Wook, the character you play in My Lovely Girl, is a talented lyricist who is incredibly successful, somewhat similar to you in real life. For you, what do you think is the key to your success?
I think I still have a long way to go. Some people might think Rain is the superstar or super successful, but I am someone who always set new goals and try to accomplish them.
2. Talent VS hard work, which of it did you think constituted more to your success?
It is definitely through hard work.
3. With all that success that you have achieved with your career all these years, how do you stay focused and grounded?
As I mentioned above, I always work hard and conscientiously. Setting the goal is my first step when I make the new project, then I always try to accomplish it.
4. When things get overwhelming or depressing, what is the best remedy for cheering yourself up?
It is really the people that I work with and my fans. They never fail to cheer me up, they are the reason why I am strong and are always there whenever I am feeling not so great.
5. Are any of the scenes or situations in the drama a true depiction of how the Korean entertainment scene is like?
I think the writers have tried to accurately portray the rality and various social phenomena of the Entertainment industry in Korea. However, as this is ‘a drama’, so viewers can expect conflicts that are not ‘real’, just to spice the story up.
6. Your guest appearance in Running Man for the Australia leg left a very deep impression on many. You were highly competitive and committed, going all out to win (and hardly cheating). Have you always been this relentless in everything?
Yes, I am very competitive. I am relentless as well. I want to give my best in everything I do.
7. Do you take defeats well?
Yes, I do take defeats well. However, I don’t just leave them at that. I will take time to analyze why I was defeated and make sure I don’t make the same mistakes again. I think it is important to learn from one’s mistakes.
8. Could you tell us what goes into your daily training regime? How long do you spend on going to the gym/exercising? Is there anything you can’t eat?
I exercise regularly; I make it a point to spend some time in the gym. It is important for people to enjoy their exercise, so choose a form of exercise that makes you happy.
A scene from My Lovely Girl. Image: Sony ONE
9. What made you decide on My Lovely Girl as your comeback TV drama?
I have always wanted to act in a ‘fairytale’ drama and this was the perfect opportunity. My Lovely Girl is a drama that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
10. What is it like returning to the drama set?
It was exciting and nerve-wrecking at the same time. I had to get back to the basics, so I took up voice and pronunciation classes.
11. What was it like acting alongside Krystal?
This is actually the first time I am acting alongside an actress who is 12 years younger than me. But age difference is not a problem for me. She (Krystal) is a very smart and talented girl, we share the same thinking as well. She is always polite to crew and works very hard. And I truly admire and thank her for that.
A scene from My Lovely Girl featuring Krystal from f(x). Image: Sony ONE
12. You’ve taken on a fair bit of action roles in the past. Which do you prefer – action or romantic roles?
I do not have a preference; I like them both equally. I never pick a film based on the genre; I choose the characters I play. I will think it through thoroughly – if I am the best person to play the character, if I will be able to excel in it and if I can match with the other characters.
13. What is a role that you would like to take on in the future?
I would like to give every role a shot. There are still so many roles I have not played.
Image: Sony ONE
14. What do your fans mean to you?
They are my family. They have been there, supporting me, since my debuted. I feel stronger each time I think I of them.
My Lovely Girl airs every Sunday at 4.30pm. (2 episodes back-to-back), first and exclusively on ONE (Singtel TV Ch 513, 604 and StarHub TV Ch 124, 820 and 823).