2012 has been a fantastic year for beauty – with celebrities embracing and experimenting with the latest runway looks. We’ve seen many beauty trends come and go this year but there are just a handful of looks which have won us over, left us feeling awe-struck and even made us want to replicate them pronto.
From intense smokey eyes to glamorous red lips, here are our top five beauty looks (on our fave stars no less) we really want. Trust us, these looks are essentials and we’ll continue wearing them well into the new year.
Presenting our beauty report card of 2012, here are five of our most-wanted beauty looks.
Who doesn’t want a healthy glow all year round like Blake Lively? Being in sunny Singapore, it makes sense for us to wear this skin-kissed look all year round. But if you don’t want to bake under the rays, fake that tan with some bronzer fused with gold shimmer.
For this look, keep eye and lip makeup simple while sweeping bronzer on your temples and cheekbones. Remember to also brush a very light amount of bronzer across your nose and chin as well as to blend down to your neck.
1. Bare Minerals Ready Luminizer, $49, from Sephora 2. Benefit Sugarlicious Lip & Cheek kit, $45
3. M.A.C Bronzing Browder in Bronze, $40 4. Nars Undress Me Multiple, $60 5. L’Oreal Paris Nutrishine Pink Rose Lipstick, $19.90 6. Dasoda SJ Volume ” Long Mascara, $25.90, from Sasa
We love how just giving your eyes a pop of colour adds instant fun to your entire look and makes you seem all that more awake!
To make sure your eyes are defined and not overshadowed (pun intended) by the colour, line your eyes with black or brown adequately before applying a bright eyeshadow as Katy Perry has done. To get more intense colour, apply the eye colour to your lids using a wet brush. Also, be sure to prep your lids before with a good primer so that the colour lasts longer. Pair the look with a neutral-coloured lip tone and you’re good to go.
1. Make Up Store Microshadow in Heaven (blue), Yaya (pink) and Vodoo (Green), $27 each 2. Urban Decay Vice Palette, $88, from Sephora 3. Bobbi Brown Black Khol Cake Liner, $40 4. Pop Beauty AM to PM Kit, $38, from Sephora 5. Nars Cosmetics Smudge Proof Eyeshadow base, $37 6. Dior Addict Lipstick in 437 Charmante, $45, available from Jan 1 2013 at Dior beauty counters
Wearing a red pout will make you the centre of attention, like singer Taylor Swift. Red just spells sex appeal and just by painting your lips a rich red hue, you’re guaranteed an instant touch of glamour.
If you prefer a lighter lip shade, pick a sheer formula so you can build upon the colour. Layer a lip balm under your shade to smooth out the surface of your lips and line them with a similarly coloured lip pencil for a long-lasting stain. To make your lip colour last longer, blot with a tissue and reapply. Repeat this a couple of times. Alternatively, dust loose powder in between coats which allows the colour pigments to come through and stay on for a longer period of time.
1. Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-Lasting Lip Pencil in Marco, €22 (SG$35.50), from www.rougebunnyrouge.com
2. YSL Beaute Rouge Pur Couture Vernis A Levres in Ferrari red (No.9), $43 3. Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in RD501 Drama, $43 4. Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in #8, $39, from Sephora 5. Nars Lipstick in Autumn Leaves, $38
When she appeared at New York premiere of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in July this year, we were blown away by her new take on the classic smokey eye look.
By using specs of gold in the inner and outer corners of the eyes, Emma Watson made the intense look more glamorous, and it also helped open up her peepers. Line your eyes with a kohl pencil before colouring in your eyeshadow of choice. Pick from dark shades like pewter, grey and black. The key to a perfect smokey eye is proper blending, so blend well by applying a lighter shade and go darker with each shade you apply. Round off the look by keeping your lips nude.
1. Lancome Hypnose Doll Eyes Mascara, $50 2. MakeUpForEver Aqua Cream in Matte Black, $39, from Sephora 3. Dolly Wink Eye Lashes in 01, $24.90 for 2 pairs, from Watsons 4. L’Oreal Paris Super Liner Smoky Eye Designer, $18.90 5. Pop Beauty Lid Monochrome Eye Shadow, $36, from Sephora 6. L’Oreal Paris Infaillible Eye Shadow Eternal Black, $14.90 7. L’Oreal Paris Infaillible Eye Shadow Hourglass Beige, $14.90
8. Exclusive Creation Regard Signe de Chanel Harmonie du Soir, $96
Envy doesn’t even do justice to how we feel about Kate Middleton’s perenially flawless makeup. The Duchess of Cambridge, who did her own makeup for her wedding (gasp!), always turns heads by looking picture perfect no matter what the occasion. We’re in awe with her rosy healthy glow.
To get the subtle, sheer makeup like Kate Middleton, less is definitely more. To get dewy skin like hers, prep your skin well before applying any beauty balms, foundations or powders. Use a moisturising base that will soften your skin and enhance your skin’s luminosity. This allows any makeup you apply after to glide on in a jiffy. Sweep on some blush at the side of your cheekbones sparingly to enhance the bone structure and keep the rest of your look simple with just some mascara and lipgloss.
1. Make Up For Ever HD Elixir, $63, from Sephora 2. Tom Ford Cheek Colour in Love Lust, $85 3. Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturiser, $68 4. Bobbi Brown Illuminating Face Base, $65 5. Etude House Precious Mineral BBdation Set, $69.90 6. Ettusais Lash Version Up, $28 7. Estee Lauder Pure Color High Gloss, $32