British writer and journalist Michael Williams tells you what are the seven best rail trips in the world in his new book — The Trains Now Departed.
1. The Venice-Simplon Orient Express from London to Istanbul.
Quite simply the most luxurious and historic train journey in the world.
2. From Leeds to Carlisle over the English Pennines.
Stunning scenery in the nation that invented the Railway.
3. The Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Beijing
The classic long-distance train journey of the world.
4. The Ghan (above) from Darwin to Adelaide in Australia
Fabulous desert scenery – and the colours and sunsets are to die for.
5. The Darjeeling Himalaya railway in Northern India
Tiny British-built narrow gauge engine takes you to the classic hill town with views of Everest.
6. From Calgary to Vancouver across the Canadian Rockies
The mountain scenery is stupendous and the driver will slow the train so you can see wild bears by the lineside.
7. The Flam Railway between Bergen and Oslo in Norway
It’s the steepest conventional railway in the world. Scary!
The legendary Trans-Siberian railway from Moscow
Top 5 outstanding train stations in the world