Just as the Grammys concluded with a nigh as rap and hip-hop swept major awards this year, the Lion City was greeted with major news today as the line-up for Singapore Jazz Festival 2018 was just announced. The three-night music event will be held at Marina Bay Sands from 6 to 8 April, and will feature jazz and all its affiliated genres, including Soul, Blues, Latin, Funk, R&B, Hip-Hop, World Music and Electro Swing.
The stellar acts
American hip-hop artiste Lauryn Hill will be gracing our shores for the festival, alongside heavyweights like Grammys winner soul singer Lalah Hathaway jazz artiste Jamie Cullum. For main act Lauryn, it will be her first time in Singapore, and her performance will be rated highly this year as her album 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' (which was hailed as one of the most incredible albums ever made) marks its 20th anniversary in 2018.
A timeless record, that album went on to wow fans with its neo soul hip-hop mix, coupled with a female's perspective on the old roots reggae music scene coupled with empowerment. Singles like 'Doo Wop (That Thing),' 'Superstar', and 'I Used To Love Him' became inspiration for upcoming artistes of today. In 1999, Time Magazine also credited her as having to 'fully assimilate hip-hop music into mainstream music, and she became the first hip-hop artiste to appear on their front cover.
That's just about Lauryn. Artist/producer Lalah Hathaway, who took home 'Best R&B album' in the 2017 Grammy is well-soughted after in the music industry too, having colloborated with Pharrell Williams on the track 'Surrender', which was featured in the major motion soundtrack of 'Hidden Figures'. Not only that, Lalah was also featured on Kendrick Lamar's winning album 'To Pimp A Butterfly.'
A total of 12 acts has been listed so far, including JASSO (The Jazz Association SG Orchestra) led by Jeremy Monteiro; House Of The Gypsies (from the Gypsy Kings alumni); Brand New Heavies; Incognito featuring Omar and Leee John; Tompi; and Parov Stelar. More acts will be announced soon.
As for ticketing details, should you get your hands on them:
Early Bird Tickets go on sale Thursday 1st February at 12 noon SGT
Tickets for the Singapore International Jazz Festival 2018 available at www.marinabaysands.com/ticketing and www.apactix.com
The Main Stage
* Early Bird $108 (until 10 February 2018)
* General Admission from $138
* Billecart-Salmon Champagne Terrace access pass at $288 (including one bottle of Billecart-Salmon Champagne)
* VIP Passes at $328 (includes free-flow bar and gourmet food)
The Late Show
* Early Bird from $108 (until 10 February 2018)
* General Admission from $138
* VIP Passes
* From 4 guests at $1,488 (including one magnum of Billecart-Salmon Champagne and one bottle of Ciroc Vodka); to
* 20 guests at $9,888 (including six magnums of Billecart-Salmon Champagne and two bottles of Ciroc Vodka)
Full One Day Pass
* General Admission to The Main Stage AND The Late Show at $248
Full Festival Weekend Pass
* Unlimited access to The Main Stage and The Late Show at $488
To book tickets and view artist updates, visit www.sing-jazz.com