Her World’s fashion editor Ian Lee (right) with the designer of the iconic wrap dress, Diane von Furstenberg | Images: Showbit and Ian Lee
1. The wrap dress is over 40 years old, and is many things to many people. But what does it mean to you?
When I first started, it was the key to my freedom, independence and success. It paid for my house and my children’s education. But it was really only last year, when there was a huge wrap dress exhibition in Los Angeles, that I was really impressed by it for the first time – I realised that it not only impacted my life, but the lives of many others.
2. Do you have a fave wrap dress?
I don’t wear a wrap dress anymore – I believe you need a skinny waist to wear one.
3. What about your fave piece from the Fall/Winter 2015 collection then?
There’s a piece called the Catherine dress with a ruffled skirt and it appears in many ways – as a dress with a shirt under it and even as a tuxedo dress.
4. You’re the president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA). Which of the young designers have impressed you the most?
I’m sort of a mother to all the designers, so I’m not supposed to pick a favourite. But I do think (the girls of) Rodarte are very talented, and I was a mentor to Alexander Wang and he’s also very talented.
5. You’ve got your own television show – House of DVF. What do you like to watch on television?
I don’t watch myself on TV. I like Scandal – do you have that here? I like Mad Men. And I like Breaking Bad. I went to Bhutan last year and became friends with the King – and I sent him the whole series of Breaking Bad.
6. What do you really think of social media and online shopping?
I think they’re great. Everything online is so easy. I’m on social media and its power is incredible. I love that I’m old enough to have danced at Studio 54 and young enough to be part of the digital revolution!
7. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment so far?
(pauses to think) Besides my children and family, I’m proud that I can relate so well to women. I was lucky that I became the woman I wanted to be early in life, so my mission is to tell women that they can also be the women they want to be. Whether it’s the clothes I make or the mentoring that I do at the CFDA, my mission is to empower women.
- audi fashion festival
- diane von furstenberg
- dvf fall winter 2015
- dvf in singapore
- dvf singapore fashion week
- dvf spring summer 2015
- dvf wrap dress
- famous wrap dress
- iconic wrap dress
- singapore fashion week
- singapore fashion week 2015
- Tjin Lee