First dates can be nerve-racking. You’ve got to mind your Ps and Qs and be interesting. And if it’s a dinner date? Even more stressful.
There’s nowhere else to look but at each other (unless you’re at the bar counter, which really isn’t such a bad thing), and you both have to keep finding something to talk about until all the dishes have been served (or until one of you somehow drops the ball).
While there are many lists about all the dos and don’ts on a first dinner date, here are four of each you should absolutely bear in mind if you want to keep it classy.
1. Keep an open mind. You’ll only let yourself down if you have expectations, so just be ready to embrace the weird (which there plenty of) and wonderful (also plenty of).
2. Be easy about your meal of choice. This is really more about him than the food, so look up the menu online beforehand if you have to and pay more attention to the conversation.
3. Give him a compliment. It could be about his dressing, the restaurant he picked or his sense of humour – whatever it is, just stroke that ego a lil.
4. Listen to him. We all love to discuss ourselves but, make sure you listen to him and create an actual conversation...as opposed to waiting for him to shut up so you get some airtime.
1. Forget basic etiquette. Chew with your mouth closed, refrain from scraping cutlery… nothing too unheard of, right? Besides, the whole point of eating together is to seduce their imagination, so act accordingly.
2. Talk about about stuff you shouldn’t. There’s nothing endearing about pushing those kinda boundaries. Medical condition? Exes? How much you hate your job? No. Tell him instead about the stuff you’re passionate about. People always dig that.
3. Refuse dessert. Or a drink somewhere else. It usually means he’s interested, and you’ve got to send some signals if you are too.
4. Check your phone every 2 minutes. Come on now, you know it's rude and really, will your Instagram explode if you don't update it for one evening? Didn't think so.
This article was first published on Cleo.com.sg