Super useful tips to know, for your next stylish trip! Image: Showbit
Transport your jewellery safely on every trip, with these tips from GIA’s (Gemological Institute of America) exhibit development manager, McKenzie Santimer.
1. Make sure high-value pieces are insured and have an up-to-date appraisal. A piece that includes a diamond or gemstone should have a report from a third-party laboratory. This will help with insurance claims if it goes missing.
2. Photograph your jewellery so you have proof that it belongs to you, in case it winds up in the lost and found section.
3. Pack pearls last and unpack them first. Pearls require a certain amount of moisture to retain their beauty, so it’s never a good idea to keep them in an airtight environment for too long.
4. Store earrings in a pill organiser to protect them from getting damaged by other contents in your bag.
5. String your necklaces through straws to prevent them from getting tangled.
6. Stick to a colour scheme. You don’t need to pack every piece from your jewellery box. Bold coloured gemstones like red spinel, aquamarine or amethyst will pop against a neutral outfit.
7. Pay attention to the season. If you’re headed somewhere that requires a heavy jacket and scarf, forgo statement necklaces and stick with pieces you can show off like a brooch or earrings. If you’re headed to a beach vacation, bring pieces that will sparkle in the sunlight.
8. Organise jewellery in plastic sandwich bags. Put each piece in its own bag, which will quickly allow you to see everything that you’ve brought when it’s time to get dressed.
9. Pack a soft cloth, like the ones used to clean eye glasses, for an easy way to clean jewellery before you wear it.
10. Pack your jewellery in your carry-on. Never put high-value items in your checked bag – luggage can get lost or stolen.
This article was originally published on SilverKris.com.