Makeup, Estée Lauder Chief Makeup Artist Jerome Chan. Styling, Jerome Awasthi, assisted by Sabrina Elman. Gina top and skirt set by Hafizah Ghazali, En Pointe & Co. Trays and vases, Finn Avenue. Floral tassel earrings, Katt Ibrahim. All other jewellery, stylist’s own. Kaftan, hijabs and rings, Adlina’s own. Location, Andaz Singapore.
Adlina Anis can’t wait for Hari Raya Puasa. The hijab business owner is excited about visiting family and friends, celebrating the end of Ramadan with delicious food, and rocking her favourite festive looks.
“The first day of Hari Raya is usually relaxed,” says Adlina. “After spending time with my parents – who live with me – and my siblings, my husband and I will visit his parents, and later, my grandmother. I’ll be feasting for sure, so I’ll be wearing my roomiest and most comfortable outfit!”
Her “Glam Raya” look would not be complete without the right skincare and makeup. She begins prepping the night before so that her skin is hydrated, plump and healthy, making it the perfect, smooth canvas for makeup. Her preferred look includes shimmery eyes with false lashes, rosy-red lips, and highlighter. Adlina, who has combination skin, prefers to focus mainly on her eyes and lips, keeping her complexion as natural-looking as possible. Ultimately, her makeup has to last so that she still looks good after a long day of visiting relatives.
Check out how Adlina uses her favourite Estée Lauder products to keep her skin looking fresh and flawless all day during the busy festive period:
1. Start the night before. Exfoliate your skin, then apply Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II and your favourite moisturiser. Adlina says that due to fasting during the month of Ramadan, her skin tends to be drier and more dull. To counter this, a serum like Advanced Night Repair is crucial for her. Not only does it target wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of premature ageing, it leaves skin feeling stronger, smoother and more hydrated. Its ChronoluxCB Technology aims to repair skin damage overnight, while its Anti-Pollution Technology reduces the appearance of damage caused by pollution and UV rays. Adlina suggests putting a few drops onto your fingers and gently press the serum all over the face.
2. Use a long-lasting foundation. Adlina prefers to use a base like Estée Lauder’s Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF10/PA++. It delivers 24 hours of extended coverage and does not oxidise, so skin looks flawless and beautiful. Adlina feels that the foundation’s matte finish and lightweight texture are perfect for her combination skin, and because it has 40 shades, she has no problem finding one that suits her skin tone. It is also resistant to sweat and humidity – perfect for Singapore’s hot and muggy weather. That’s why Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup has garnered many fans here, and is the No. 1 liquid foundation in Singapore. For Adlina, an added plus is that it is transfer-resistant. This means it won’t stain her hijab and she can enjoy the festivities without any worries.
3. Use waterproof eye makeup. Groom your eyebrows with Double Wear Stay-in-Place Brow Lift Duo for budge-proof brows (it has 12-hour staying power). Then apply Double Wear Infinite Waterproof Eyeliner which lasts all day and night (it stays put for 24 hours) and Double Wear Extreme Zero Smudge All Effects Mascara for extreme length, volume and curl before putting on false eyelashes.
4. Contour your face. Sweep Pure Color Envy Sculpting Blush across the apples of your cheeks, then apply a highlighter such as Double Wear Brush-On Glow BB Highlighter onto the tops of your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, and the inner corners of your eyes. This guarantees a stunning glow!
5. Set your makeup. Spritz on some setting spray, let it dry, and you’re done.
Eid Glam Favourites
Adlina loves to create her own “Glam Raya” looks using different types of headscarves, but she says that whatever she wears, she always strives to look polished and elegant. Here are some of her favourite items from the collections her store carries:
3 Favourite Beauty Hacks by Estée Lauder’s Chief Makeup Artist, Jerome Chan
The Advanced Night Repair serum and Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup foundation are more versatile than you think, he says.
1 Mix 1-2 drops of Advanced Night Repair with Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup. The serum helps to keep skin hydrated and gives the foundation a dewy finish. You can even use the mixture as a concealer.
2 Soothe skin with Advanced Night Repair. It helps minimise skin redness, keeps the area moist and cool, and protects it from further damage.
3 Revive dried-out mascara by putting a few drops of Advanced Night Repair into the tube.