Skin SOS alert! Are you red in the face from stewing in Singapore’s sweltering heat? In keeping with the critical nature of this crisis of the complexion, let’s get straight to it:
1. Treat yourself to an express DIY mask, first thing in the AM. Time to “cotton on” to this particular skin secret, which is an absolute must-try if you want to cop the dewy complexion of the hottest K-Beauty stars.
Grab three or four pieces of soft cotton pads and douse them in your go-to toner or lotion; try stashing your bottle in the fridge for an extra boost of cooling power. When the pads are wet all the way through, slap them on your face. Twiddle your thumbs for two minutes, then take the pads off. Pat in any excess and proceed with the rest of your regimen. This speedy spot treatment reduces redness in a jiffy, plus the extra helping of hydration will also imbue your mien with a subtle inner sheen.
2. Soothe skin with a ‘miracle’ moisturiser. A richly restorative cream is a crucial lifesaver when it comes to a dessicated dermis. There are a ton of options on the market, but my money’s on the perfectly purse-friendly Bioderma Hydrabio Creme, which comes amped up with an arsenal of antioxidant actives and smoothening squalane and salicylic acid. Buttery beyond belief, the oil-in-water-in-oil formula promises to wick water into the deepest layers of your skin and sinks straight in, too; no smearing or spreading required. My cheeks are supple and springier than ever after a week’s use, and I feel like it tacks on the appearance of a good eight hours of sleep to nights when I’m hardly getting any.
3. Keep a cool head. The second order of business is to squelch the splotches that makes ruddy skin so unpleasantly prominent. For this purpose, consider blasting your face with a spray containing alleviating aloe vera or a similarly soothing botanical blend – I’m addicted to the incredibly invigorating tingle of Shiseido’s sensational Ibuki Quick Fix Mist, which cools the “hotspot” as if it were a cold compress.
In any case, simply spritz your spray of choice at arm’s length in an X-shaped formation, let it sit for a minute or so, then pat dry. The dip in temperature shrinks the skin’s blood vessels and blots out blotchiness in a process called “vasoconstriction”. Bonus: This cool trick also placates puffiness, outsized pores and such – essentially any and every cosmetic concern.
4. Cover your bases with a perfecting primer. It’s all about the base, baby. Get your fundamentals right by prepping your skin with a luminising lotion, and you’re well on the way to looking like you’re in the prime of life. Product recommendation-wise, my obsession du jour has got to be Chanel’s covetable Le Blanc Light Creator Whitening Makeup Base SPF40/PA+++ in Orchidee, a creamy concoction stuffed with thirst-quenching moisture magnets and shot through with carefully calibrated purple pigments to “colour correct” the dullness clouding your complexion.
Big beauty bonus: The perfectly respectable SPF40/PA+++ rating means that cubicle-dwelling folks should be able to skip sunscreen if they like. (Just remember to top up before venturing out into our searing streets!) Texture-wise, the satiny serum-like consistency also makes for supremely comfortable wear in sweltering Singapore, and the lovely lilac hue is fantastic as a brightening base on no-makeup makeup days.
5. Top up with a creamy concealer. If you need a tad more coverage on the ruddiness around the nose and cheeks, feel free to go back in with a small brush and finish the job with a concealer. (I’m a repeat purchaser and enthusiastic endorser of Cle de Peau Beaute’s supremely satiny Concealer, but then again, just about every beauty buff I know is of the same mind.)
Now, when it comes to this makeup essential, everyone and their mother seems to have the most vociferous of opinions, but I’ve found that a creamy product infused with soothing oils is your best bet. Why? The consistency of your concealer matters because the chances of unsightly caking and creasing are radically reduced if your already delicate skin is kept perfectly pampered and well hydrated.
Right, then. Give your skin another once-over with a calming mist and you’re done. All ready to “face” the day. Good luck getting out of the red!