It’s that time of the year again.
The time where we marvel at Chanel’s biannual beauty pop-up, characterised by the brand’s love for opulence and extravagance – with a whole dash of class. We are talking about Chanel after all; a brand that transcends being “just a brand”, to one that spills effortless French chic (even when over-the-top). You kinda get where we’re coming from when we mention it’s our dream to “be a Chanel girl”, yes?
This May, Chanel fans are transported back to the 80’s disco era. Hold on tight as you enter the Coco Flash Club – you’d be whisked away to welcome a psychedelic, pulsating sight. Flashing lights, disco nights; a complete break from the “outside world”. Think Alice in Wonderland, but hip.
Take that all in, but don’t take too long. There’s much to explore.
If you are anything like us – drawn to shiny, sparkly things – the two “backstage beauty rooms” beckons. One, Mademoiselle’s, and the other, Lily Rose’s. Inside both, the vanities of our (and very likely yours) dreams loaded up with new, limited edition and upcoming Chanel beauty products.
Test, swatch, play – everything’s free for you to adventure. If you’re up to it, get a yourself a Chanel makeover. There’s even an app for you in the Lily Rose room to visualise how you’d look like in various lipstick colours before you decide on your look.
And since you’re already there, pop on a classic Chanel tweed coat for the ‘gram and put your best look forward. Mademoiselle will be proud.
Don’t leave without checking out the Scent Bar – if your olfactory senses are looking to be teased, this is it. Chanel’s best-selling fragrances are on display, but number-coded with short descriptions each. Don’t know your names? No matter. Simply pick a number that’s to your fancy, and you might find a new favourite scent.
FYI, there is also the new Le Eaux Paris – Riviera (a fresh floral scent) fragrance in the mix, too.
(Though you’d already know that No.5 is, well, No.5.)
Our pick of the night though? The Chanel Rouge Coco Flash lipsticks. They’re high-shine lipsticks that are of an in-between balm-oil consistency for glossy, pouty lips. And they just so happen to be Chanel’s biggest lip launch of the year, so you bet we had high hopes for it.
Below, the Her World Beauty Team’s review of the lipsticks (and keep reading to find out how you can sign up for the Coco Flash Club):
Beauty editor Melissa used Rouge Coco Flash in #90 Jouer
– Packaging: ♥ Sleek and sexy. What’s different from the other Chanel lippies? The little clear window on one end which lets you see the colour without needing to open up the lippie.
– Texture: ♡ So smooth and glide-y that the colour needs touch-ups throughout the day.
– Scent: ♥ Scent-free, just the way I like it.
– Ease of use: ♡ Lovely glide but it doesn’t seem to give me a clean lip line. I had to wipe it off the first time I applied it as it looked a bit messy.
– Immediate after-feel: ♥ Moisturised puckers without a hint of dryness or chapped skin in sight.
– Results: ♥ I love this shade – #90 Jour, it’s a soft pink that isn’t too bright and bubblegum-my.
– Price: ♥ It’s Chanel so of course it’s worth the price. Plus its lip-smoothing effect is as good as the best lip balm out there.
– Verdict: ♥♥♥♥♥♡♡
Beauty writer Chelsea used Rouge Coco Flash in #68 Ultime
– Packaging: ♥ Packaging looks like a vintage #throwback component, and I love the see-through cap that lets me identify shades quickly.
– Texture: ♡ A little too buttery for my liking, so it can be hard getting sharp lines when you’re in a rush. I had to line my lips with the Jumbo Longwear Matte Lip Cryon in #265 Subversion for a clean lip line.
– Scent: ♥ Not much discernable scent, which I’m a fan of.
– Ease of use: ♥ Packed with pigment, and glided on like a dream.
– Immediate after-feel: ♥ Lips looked super juicy (like a candied apple) because of the oil-gloss like texture that caught light at the right places. I kinda felt like I had Snow White vibes going on.
– Results: ♥ The bright red + high shine isn’t exactly a colour for everyday wear given how loud the combination is. But it’s perfect for parties – though do take note, the colour isn’t transferproof and doesn’t leave a stain.
– Price: ♥ It’s a beautiful formula, and $52 is a justified price to pay to feel like a million bucks. My advice is to get the “bolder” shades for that oomph factor.
– Verdict: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♡
Want to experience the Coco Flash Club for yourself? Sign up here. Pop-up ends on Saturday, 11 May.