You don’t need to be a makeup pro to create special effects on your lips. Some lipsticks are now designed to be worn over your usual lip colour (celebs are loving this pink nude shade) as a top coat to change the colour of the first lippie applied. These layering lipsticks are not in funky shades like white, grey and gold, and are surprisingly beautiful when layered. Swipe them on in the morning before you head out, at midday when you’re up for a change of colour, or after work to go from classy to party. Get started with these options!
1. Chanel Rouge Coco Gloss in 774 Excitation, 776 Impulsion and 778 Caviar, $48 each.
Choose your topping: a little sparkle, a hint of brilliance or go a few tones darker.
2. Laneige Silk Intense Lipstick in #800 Forest Fantasy and #250 Exotic Yellow, $36 each.
Go solo if you dare, or top your favourite hue with these to warm it up (10 more coral lipsticks for all skin tones here) or cool it down.
3. YSL Beauty Vernis A Levres Colour Amplifier in #53 Yellow Amplifier, #51 Magenta Amplifier, and #52 Blue Amplifier, $51 each.
Only one rule applies when working with primary colours: mix, match and go crazy (and do it with your clothes too!).
4. Urban Decay Vice Special Effects Long-Lastine Water-Resistant Lip Topcoat, $30 each.
With 12 colours and four finishes (sparkle, glitter, pearl and metallic), you’re sure to find one for each of your next dozen parties.
5. Make Up For Ever Artist Rouge Creme in C600 White, $35.
Smooth this over a lipstick base to brighten your pout, or dab it onto the centre of your lips to make them look brighter and more plumped-up.
ALSO READ: 5 MUST-HAVE LIP PRODUCTS FOR A PERFECT POUT
6. Maybelline Color Sensational The Loaded Bolds Lipstick in #03 Wickedly White and #02 Pitch Black, $19.90.
White to lighten, black to darken. Mix white and black (like your home decor), and get ready to turn some heads.
7. L’Oreal Paris Color Riche 24K Gold Star Lipstick in G101 Le Gold, $21,90.
On its own, this appears as a nude shimmer. When applied over another colour, it gives your lips a gorgeous metallic finish.
This story was originally published in the digital edition of the July 2017 issue of Her World magazine.