Photography Raymond Lee Styling Bryan Goh Hair Zeevy Tee, using Kevin.Murphy Makeup Kenneth Lee, using Cle de Peau Beaute Model Olivia/Looque
We’re all for do-it-all products as long as they do it all well. A hair primer, which works like a makeup base for hair, does do it all well. Here are five ways it’s good.
- It’s a lightweight leave-in conditioner. It doesn’t weigh down fine hair, and works just as well on normal hair. But if you have very dry or damaged hair, you’ll need to apply a separate leave-in conditioner.
- It’s a pre-styler. A hair primer works like a “base coat”, smoothing hair and helping styling products to stay on until the end of the day.
- It’s a styling product. It detangles, gives shine to any type of hair, and provides a light hold for low-maintenance styles like loose or natural waves.
- It acts as a moisture barrier, keeping humidity out and preventing midday frizz.
- It protects hair. The coating of primer on your hair is a shield against UV damage, as well as heat from styling tools like your blow dryer, straightening iron or curler.
And here are five hair primers to try:
This story was originally published in the August 2018 issue of Her World magazine.