It was the hairstyle of choice on the Cannes red carpet – with everyone from Diane Kruger (pictured left) to Beth Ditto rocking ponytail chic.
And in the fashion world, the swinging pony has been equally prolific this season with Erdem, Louis Vuitton and Chanel embracing the classic look in their runway shows.
From super-high and ultra-sleek to low and tousled, the fashion-forward ponytail comes in many guises – which means there’s definitely a style out there that will suit you.
“The beauty of this pretty but structured look is that is it easy to create,” explains hair stylist Marc Trinder, who created the youthful yet sexy look for Erdem’s Spring/Summer 12 runway show in London.
Here are his tips for a runway-worthy pony.
1. To prep hair and give it a workable texture use Charles Worthington Front Row Volume Blow Dry Spray at the roots.
2. Spray some heat defence spray from mid-lengths to ends to protect hair from the tonging that is to come later.
3. Brush hair up into a tight pony tail, two fingers down from the crown and once secured, tong the end three inches using large barrelled curling irons to create a ‘bend’ in the hair, rather than a curl.
4. Run through the pony with your fingers to encourage flyaway strands.
5. Finish the look with Charles Worthington Front Row Forever Lasting Hairspray applied to the front sides of the hair using your fingertips to create a flyaway effect. © Cover Media