Finally, there’s a hair trend that’s completely wearable, plus easy to recreate at home. The slicked-back ‘do is great for all lengths of hair from bobs to waist-length.
We have detailed step-by-step guides from celebrity hairstylists direct from New York Fashion Week’s backstage.
Read on for #hairinspo and three different ways to achieve “same same yet different” slicked back hairstyles.
How-To By James Pecis for Brandon Maxwell
The inspiration behind the look was Texas and all-American – think tailgates, coolers and Brooke Shields. Hair was styled to be big, beautiful, healthy, and away from the face.
- Stretch hair out by blow drying with the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer professional edition.
- Flat iron hair back in diagonal sections on the sides so hair is flat and in the direction of a ponytail.
- Create a low ponytail and rope into a braid bun.
- Sew in a cork screw to give shape and let it sit. Then, let hair down to be blow dried again.
- Apply a thickening spray to the whole head and a second layer to the layers of hair around the face.
- Blow hair back and upwards for volume using a large round brush.
- Pin up in six sections and let hair sit for a bit.
- Release and spray an anti-humidity hairspray to lock in the look.
How-To By Holli Smith for Proenza Schouler
The inspiration behind the look was a loosely slicked-back “out of the shower” style.
- Apply a thickening spray from roots to ends.
- Brush up first and then down around ear with a brush to distribute product within hair.
- Gently mist water and the thickening spray to maintain the wet look.
- Apply Oribe Gel Serum for textures that need more hold.
- Allow hair to dry for 10 minutes.
- Dry hair with the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer professional edition, using the diffuser attachment on a low heat setting to bring out hair’s natural texture.
How-To By James Pecis for Gabriela Hearst
The inspiration for this came from a variety of influences, showcasing Latin roots, structural elegance, and a nod to the 50’s.
- Start by applying Oribe Maximista to roots to ends and rough drying with the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer professional edition
- Make extra effort to press the top flat, by directing the professional nozzle close to the head, to get maximum head contouring.
- Next, use a curling iron (2cm diameter) to set hair with an “S” wave.
- Let hair sit for 10 minutes before brushing out with a wet brush
Excited for more runway trends and how-tos? Check back for our runway reports upcoming from the London, Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks.