Every now and then, whether it’s due to busyness or laziness, we skip washing our hair and have to endure an oilier-than-usual scalp – and flatter-than-normal hair – the next day. The solution to these icky sensations? Dry shampoo. Having this unsung hero as part of your haircare routine is life altering.
When it comes to dry shampoos, UK brand Batiste has been around since 1970. Its award-winning formula helps cleanse hair, prolonging the interval between washes.
Batiste dry shampoos were a hairstylist’s secret weapon through the ’80s and ’90s. Today, it is loved globally – it’s sold in over 60 countries, and has been rated the best dry shampoo in the UK, the US and the world.
How to use a dry shampoo
It’s simply a shampoo in powder form, designed to temporarily relieve the oiliness on your scalp without the use of water. Made of rice starch, Batiste Dry Shampoo refreshes hair in less than 60 seconds – anywhere, any time.
It works by soaking up grease, which leaves your scalp feeling (and looking) less oily immediately, and keeps your second-day hair looking clean. A dry shampoo can also add texture and volume to hair, without leaving a white, chalky residue on the scalp.
Here’s how to use it: To evenly distribute dry shampoo and avoid getting powder clumps, hold the spray can two to three inches away from your scalp. Start with a small dose, wait a few minutes and build on it, if needed. Next, massage the powder into the hair roots and scalp with your fingertips – that’s the secret to oil absorption. Then, brush and style your hair as normal.
It’s so much more than a hair cleanser
- Dry shampoo is not meant to be used daily to replace regular hair washing, but don’t be too quick to dismiss it. It’s a handy product to have with you all the time.
- If you tend to only wash your hair at night, you can use Batiste Dry Shampoo to refresh your scalp in the morning.
- Need a volume boost throughout the day? A few sprays of Batiste Dry Shampoo will do the trick.
- Keep it handy at your work desk to refresh your hair at any time. It’s especially useful if you’ve come back from lunch and your hair smells of grease and food. (That means it works great at barbecues too!)
- Pop it into your gym bag so your hair can look and feel clean after a workout.
- It’s travel-friendly. On a long flight, and feeling your hair and scalp getting greasier by the hour? Or just too tired to wash your hair after a day of taking in the sights? You know what to do.
Batiste Dry Shampoos come in two sizes. The 50ml ($3.90) size is great for travel and pops nicely into your handbag or gym bag. The 200ml size costs $12.90.
There are seven dry shampoos in the current collection. Batiste is also launching two limited edition floral-scented dry shampoos in September: Edgy & Romantic Tempt, and Fresh & Feminine Wild Flower (200ml each), available exclusively at Guardian. For more information on Batiste Dry Shampoo, visit Batistehair.com.
The Batiste dry shampoos are available at Guardian Health & Beauty, Watsons Personal Care stores, Cold Storage and FairPrice Supermarkets, and 7-Eleven convenient stores islandwide.