How do I wear classic red lipstick every day without looking overly made-up?
Classic red lipstick is usually worn with a fully made-up face for a sophisticated look. However, a more casual way of wearing red lips has emerged on the runways.
Spring/Summer 2016 shows by brands such as Oscar de la Renta, Dolce & Gabbana, Kenzo and Jason Wu all featured models with bold shades of cherry lips and nearly bare faces.
The casual update makes statement red lips easier to wear for everyday and a more youthful look.
Senior artist at MAC Cosmetics Louise Zizzo, originally from England and currently based in California, shares some tips on how to get the look:
• Go for a cherry colour
What you want is more of a cherry red instead of an orange red. Anything too orange could make your teeth look yellow.
• Keep the rest of the face almost bare
Apply just a light base foundation and some highlighter or strobe cream on the cheeks.
• Prime the lips
Use a lip conditioner and blot it off before applying the lipstick.
This will make the lips smoother for lipstick to be applied on and help keep them moisturised.
• Play with colour and shading You can do a very bold lip, with the colour being very vivid.
If you are not confident about pulling that off, keep it light instead. Use a lip brush to put on a light layer of lipstick, blotting off any excess to create a stained look for more subtle red lips.
Here are some products that will help achieve the look:
Image: Chanel, Tarte, Etude, Revlon, Mac, YSL Beaute / ST
1. Rouge Allure in 99 Pirate, $49, from Chanel, available at Chanel beauty boutiques islandwide
This long-lasting lipstick is packed with pigment that creates an intense colour and a luminous finish. The creamy texture allows for an even and smooth application.
2. Tarteist Lip Paint in Bae, $28, from Tarte, available at Sephora outlets island-wide from March 3
An ultra-matte liquid lipstick that is high in pigments and has a velvety texture. Applying one layer gives the lips a subtle matte finish while two coats create a more dramatic, opaque look.
3. Berry Delicious Color In Liquid Lips Juicy #27, $17.90, from Etude House, available at Etude House stores island-wide from March 4
This liquid colour combines the texture of a lipstick with a lip tint, giving lips a more subtle shade of red. It contains raspberry extract to help keep lips moisturised.
4. Matte Lipbalm in Striking, $19.90, from Revlon, available at Watsons, Guardian and major department stores
A crayon-like coloured lip balm that contains shea butter, mango and coconut butter to provide hydration to the lips. This balm sets with a matte finish that does not feel too heavy on the lips.
5. Retro Matte Liquid Lip Colour in Feels So Grand, $39, from MAC, available at all MAC outlets
A liquid lipstick that dries down to a suede-like matte finish that is mostly transfer-proof. This liquid colour creates a vivid warmer red that will match most skin tones.
6. Rouge Pur Couture Satin Radiance Lipstick in Le Rouge, $50, from Yves Saint Laurent Beauty, available at YSL Beaute counters and the YSL Beaute store at B2-34 Ion Orchard
A rich creamy lipstick that claims to provide intense hydration and antioxidant care. The pure red colour is opaque when applied and has a satin finish.
A version of this story was originally published in The Straits Times on February 25, 2016. For more stories like this, head to www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle