As the world watched the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Suits actress Meghan Markle, we can’t help but admire Markle’s go-to regular beauty look — a soft smokey eye paired with a taupe lip. Even in the royal couple’s engagement photo, Markle spots this look, and it’s perfectly matched to her honeyed skin tone.
But when it comes to achieving that perfect MLBB (my lips but better) look, many Asian women often stumble, either ending up with a lip colour that is too light making you look washed out or too dark, and it defeats the whole “Meghan-Markle” look.
Makeup artist Larry Yeo comes to the rescue with 5 easy tips to finding the perfect taupe lip for your skin tone and how to complement it.
1. If you find a taupe (or what you consider to be taupe) that matches your skin tone perfectly that it ends up looking more nude, then it isn’t taupe. According to Larry, this is simply a nude lippie.
2. A taupe colour has a similar tone to your skin tone, but has a bit more colour to it, like a slight pink or peach hue — depending on your skin tone, that makes your lips look like it’s got a bit more depth and intensity.
3. If your lips have an uneven colouring or slight discoloration, choose something that is has a peach hue to counteract that discolouration.
4. For daily use, choose a lip colour that has the right amount of brown and beige in it. Thus, when applied it looks like an amplified version of your natural skin tone, but with a bit more flush (i.e. pink/peach tone).
5. Complement your new taupe lips with a flawless and polished complexion. According to Larry, ensure that any redness, blemishes and dark under-eye circles are concealed. But that does not mean applying it thickly as it can make the finish look too flat. Finish off with soft smoky eyes — just like Markle does, or a bright eyeliner, and a wash of blush on the cheeks.
Taupe lippies to try:
Photo: Clé de Peau Beauté
For fair skins: Clé de Peau Beauté Lipstick in Silk Scroll, $92.
For medium skins: OCC Lip Tar RTW in Dash, $26. (available from www.hypebeauty.net)
For honeyed skins: Marc Jacobs Beauty New Nudes Sheer Gel Lipstick in Role Play, $44.
For tanned skins: 3INA The Longwear Lipstick in 516, $16.
Ace your Makeup:
Top makeup artist gives you tips and tricks to create looks that you always wanted.
For more stories from this series, click here.