Dog-tired and done for after pulling one too many all-nighters over the consecutive celebratory weekends – and have the pasty and puffy complexion to show for it?
Get back on track with these recharging and revitalising beauty best practices for visibly softer and smoother skin, even if you’re running on empty:
1. Peel away the past. Dead skin cells can really dim your glow, so be sure to incorporate topical peels to resurface and rejuvenate – and make them a “regular” item on your routine, please. To wit: “A weekly peel is a requirement, not an option for beautiful looking skin!” says Philosophy Beauty Singapore education trainer Elaine Lim.
These heavy-duty hard hitters are superb for purging congested complexions of gunk and grease. Plus, most peels are so easy to use too: Simply massage into your mien, then rinse off for a visibly smoother visage. Magic!
Product recommendation-wise, Elaine endorses Philosophy’s Microdelivery Peel, which she says is “inspired by the peels offered by clinical dermatologists, and can even help to reduce the appearance of fine lines”. Use this and with some luck, your skin should be feeling supremely soft, pleasingly plump and pore-free. Bonus points for the sensorial pleasure afforded by this treatment’s cool citrusy tang.
2. Fitness first for a fabulous face. Face flushed from straining and stretching? Good on you, girl. There’s an increasingly firm body of evidence pointing to a positive correlation between calisthenics and complexion.
Take it from an expert: “By increasing blood flow, a bout of exercise helps flush cellular debris out of the system,” notes dermatologist Ellen Marmur, associate professor of dermatology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. “You can think of it as cleansing your skin from the inside.” Translation? Sweat your way to sensational skin and go from dumbbells to the dancefloor!
3. Love your lips. The pursing of your puckers from all that sipping and slurping over Chinese New Year may be exacerbating premature aging around your lips and mouth. The key to ironing out the kinks in your kisses? invest in a preventative lip treatment, stat.
We're putting money where our mouths are with Philosophy’s pucker-perfecting Kiss Me Tonight lip balm, a seriously protective salve that can double up as an overnight mask. Elaine says this will make for easier application of makeup the morning after, too. Oh, and while we’re at it, try to make a conscious effort to stop sulking and smirking. (Our personal beauty regimen involves not smiling or moving our faces unless absolutely necessary!)
4. Take a swig – but everything in moderation, please. Hydrating with H20 is an absolute requisite in the evening, especially if you’re sleeping in a skin-desiccating air-conditioned room, with one proviso: Limit liquid intake about three hours or so before bedtime. That way, you’ll forestall any fluid retention when you wake up in the morning – plus you’ll sleep better too, because you won’t be getting up in the middle of the night to take a leak.
5. Eye cream is of the essence. Your blinking baby blues are the windows to your soul – and an unforgiving reflection of your accelerated age. Stave off signs of sagging and bagging by applying a de-puffing and detoxifying eye cream twice daily – and be sure to pat it in gently to avoid tugging and tearing around your delicate orbital region.
For the best results, hone in on rollerball applicators – these make for a fab quick fix that both maximises microcirculation and rids you of water retention at the same time. Try Philosophy’s Brighten My Day Expert Dark Circle Brightening & Perfecting Eye Cream, which comes with a really cool (and really cooling) tip that dispenses an emollient enriched with algae extracts – terrific for flattening eye bags in a jiffy.
6. Finally, amp up your sunscreen with antioxidants. Your best bet? Ascorbic acid. Better known as good ol’ vitamin C, this turbo-charged superhero is a firm favourite for its ability to fend off environmental aggressors. The result? Smoother and more supple skin with a lit-from-within luminescence.
To that end, try Lancaster’s lovely Skin Therapy Day Shield UV-Pollution SPF30/PA+++, a brilliant skin brightener that sinks into skin in seconds. The next-gen filters in this finely textured fluid prevents it from breaking down under duress, meaning you’ll enjoy the full protection required to fend off the fury of Singapore’s sun when power-walking through the CBD district.
Right, then. Bookmark this story and try out these tips today – with time, your skin ought to regain some of its “fishball” bounciness. Good luck!