THE BRANDT STEAM OVEN FV1040X
This Brandt steamer provides appetising and healthier alternatives to all those fried food and MSG-laden dishes. The steamer’s large size means that you can whip up large family meals easily; and in less than half an hour too.
WHAT IS IT?
A 23-litre built-in oven dedicated to steaming food. Simply put your food in and set the cooking time. The oven beeps when the food is ready; you can also thaw food in it.
It comes with two stackable A4-sized metal trays – one perforated and the other non-perforated.
WE LIKED IT BECAUSE . . .
1. We could steam much larger quantities of food in it: The oven could easily fit a large fish, compared to my old-fashioned steamer in a wok over the stove.
2. We didn’t have to worry about water drying up. The one-litre jug of water used to generate steam lasted almost an hour. An alarm sounded when it was empty.
3. There was no need to preheat the oven – it warmed up in under a minute.
4. We could cook food precisely how we wanted it – chawanmushi was smooth in five minutes, broccoli was bright green and crisp in 15 minutes and a chicken thigh was tender and juicy in 20 minutes.
5. The keep-warm function kicked in automatically after steaming, so dishes were kept warm (at about 40 deg C) for up to an hour.
6. It cooks healthy and flavourful food: Having a steam oven at home means we automatically cook healthier, yet equally flavourful, dishes for the family.
VERDICT: It’s sleek, easy to use, and is a fuss-free option for cooking healthy family meals – even for novices.
Brandt Steam Oven FV1040X, $1,999* from major electrical stores.
*All product and pricing information was correct at the time of the magazine's publication. We advise readers to check with the store for the latest availability and pricing information.
This article was originally published in SimplyHer June 2011.